St Luke United Methodist Church

St Luke United Methodist Church
St Luke United Methodist Church
St Luke United Methodist Church
St Luke United Methodist Church

St Luke United Methodist Church

from 25.00

1104 2nd Avenue - Columbus, Georgia.

With the opening of this area to settlers, Methodism was here. Rev. James Stockdale, a circuit rider, preached to the people in a brush arbor on the site of the present church in 1828. The log meeting house in 1829, was the first church building in the new town. Rev. Arthur Hammil was the first preacher assigned specifically to St. Luke and it was part of the South Carolina Conference.  This building was followed by a frame building on the same site. Under the leadership of Rev. Lovick Pierce in 1836, the first brick building was constructed.  Dr. Lovick Pierce was pastor of St. Luke twice in its history and organized its sister church, St. Paul. A second brick building, built in its place in the late 1890's, was destroyed by fire on May 10, 1942. The present sanctuary is Georgian architecture, portico supported by graceful columns, a tall spire with cross on top.  The eight windows in the sanctuary depict incidents from creation to establishment of the Methodist Church in America.  It was "officially" opened in 1948. 

  • Giclée Prints
  • Open Edition
  • Signed by Artist
  • History Included 

11.75" x 36", 12" x 24" mailed in tubes, 8" x 10" mailed in padded envelopes

Size:
Quantity:
Add To Cart